Documentary on militia group at Osu Castle ‘misleading’ – Gov’t
The government says the Joy News documentary purporting that the State was complicit in the training of a supposed militia is misleading. The Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, addressing the press on Friday said the documentary “carried a number of significant misrepresentations and misleading impressions.” The advertising of the documentary, especially in the wake of heightened concerns over political violence, had some expecting alarming footage of militia training. It focused on a supposed militia group called “De-Eye” which was portrayed as using the Osu Castle as the base of operations. Political parties have been under the microscope after the violence that marred the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election. The documentary sought to draw a link between De-Eye and the threat of vigilante groups. But the actual documentary was relatively tame, as Mr. Oppong Nkrumah noted to the press.
“Surprisingly, the 20-minute documentary does not show any evidence of such a militia or a vigilante group training or operating at a security zone. Rather it shows a group of young men and women dressed up in white shirts and black suits converging at the Christianborg Castle in Osu in the belief that jobs will be found for them,” the Minister said.
The Minister also said: “government is of the view that this is most unprofessional and very misleading, and we can only urge the producer and Joy News to avoid such misrepresentations in the future.” He said the final product also “deliberately failed to highlight the fact that that office had been closed down since October 2018.”
Source : citinewsroom.com