• Post Your Ad
  • Latest News

    Home / News / Family of killed Asawase youth to receive Ghc1.7m – Nana Addo

    Family of killed Asawase youth to receive Ghc1.7m – Nana Addo

    President Akufo-Addo has announced a GHS 1.7 million compensation package for the families of the seven young men in Asawase in the Ashanti Region, who were wrongfully shot and killed by the police in 2017. President Akufo-Addo, who was addressing a conference in the Ashanti Region on the development Zongo communities said he will ensure that justice is served the families of the deceased. According to him, processes are underway to prosecute the police officers who are guilty in the incident.
    I cannot come to Kumasi and not revisit the unfinished business of the death of seven of our compatriots at the hands of some police personnel last year. Based on the recommendations of the committee, I asked the IGP to interdict the police personnel involved. Processes have been initiated that will result in the prosecution of any police person allegedly found to have acted outside the law, Akufo-Addo said.
    “I am happy also to announce to you that a compensation package totaling GHS 1.75 million, that is 250,000 for each of the seven families, is to be paid to the dependents of the deceased. Even though money cannot replace the life of a human being, it is our way of accepting the responsibility of the state in this unfortunate affair,” Akufo-Addo added.
    The seven-member government committee tasked to investigate the shooting incident at Manso Nkwanta in November 2018, found no evidence to suggest that the seven persons who were shot and killed by a Police patrol team were armed robbers as the police claimed. The killings on July 7, 2018, triggered outrage and anger in Zongo communities in Kumasiwith residents insisting on the innocence of the seven. The was some agitation within the Zongo communitydue to the delay in the release of the report. 21 police officers found to be involved in the killings were recommended for interdiction by the Police administration according to a Ministry of Information statement.
    “The twenty-one (21) police personnel involved in the incident who have been found to be the principal suspects be interdicted by the Police administration and be subjected to formal police criminal investigation into the matter.” The government in that statement also pledged to support the dependents of the deceased victims.
    Source : citinewsroom.com
    proj

    %d bloggers like this: